If you are looking to transform your kitchen into a space of luxury, it’s best to first spend some time researching suitable kitchen renovation companies, in order to form a shortlist of companies to approach in person. The majority of the research can easily be conducted online, such as viewing online portfolios and reviews, and researching company history and experience. You can also obtain valuable information from family and friends who have undertaken a kitchen renovation, who will be able to offer insight into both the process and the end result. Online research and seeking recommendations from friends and family, will make it easier for you to shortlist the most appropriate companies, which you can then go and visit to make your final decision. Upon visiting all of the shortlisted companies, you will then have enough information to decipher which kitchen renovation company is the right fit for you.
Seek recommendations from friends and family
Recommendations from friends and family should be the most trusted source about kitchen companies. Renovations aren’t something that just happens, they are both a process and an experience. If you know someone who has had their dream luxury kitchen built by a high end kitchen renovation company, then asking them about their experience is a good place to start. You’ll gain insight into what the company is like to deal with, as well as inspect their workmanship for yourself.
Some questions you should ask include:
- Were the designers/staff easy to deal with?
- Did they ask a lot of questions and take a detailed brief from you?
- Did they take the time to really think about the design of the kitchen or was it drawn on the spot?
- Did they guide you and keep you informed throughout the process?
- Did they visit the appliance or stone showroom with you and help with selection?
- Did they complete the work in the timeframe provided?
- Were there any problems or defects during the build and how did they resolve them?
- How is their after sales support & warranty?
Do they have a strong portfolio of work and what is their experience?
- Look at the depth and breadth of their project portfolio. Are there a range of projects from large to small?
- Have they completed projects in your area and do they have experience with projects similar to yours? The process between a suburban kitchen renovation and a city hi-rise renovation are different and require particular expertise and specialist tools.
- Do they have experience working with a number of stakeholders like architects, builders and interior designers?
- What are the budgets involved (often shown on sites like Houzz)?
- How long have they been in business?
Where and how do they make their kitchens?
- How much of the kitchen do they make themselves? Companies that manufacture as much of the kitchen themselves are able to control quality better, resolve problems more effectively and create more bespoke kitchen designs.
- Is it made locally or imported? If the kitchen is made locally, this is great for the Australian economy and jobs. Locally made kitchens typically have shorter lead times and are better positioned for servicing and repairs.
- Is it a franchise or a single company? Many kitchen companies have gone down the route of opening franchises or having multiple showrooms (sometimes under different business names). This approach has a tendency of shifting focus away from quality and into growth and profits. Independent, bespoke manufacturers are better able to maintain their focus on delivering quality and service.
Do they have positive client reviews and what are the common points?
Beyond referrals from friends and family, the next most trusted source of information is reviews from their customers. It’s not just the rating you should be looking at or the amount, what is most important is where you see the reviews and is what is being said. Independent review sites like Google are great because you will see a mix of positive and negative reviews that aren’t skewed by the cherry picking of kitchen companies.
You can gain valuable insight into the kitchen company by reading customer reviews. They often contain information about how the company was to work with; how tidy they were on site; the process of getting their kitchen; how professional they were; what went wrong; the quality of the design; and the craftsmanship. Pay attention to the overall consistency of what is being said about the kitchen company. If the reviews have much the same message, you can expect to have a similar experience. For any negative reviews you see, read how the kitchen company responds.
At Dan Kitchens, we are fortunate to have built a great reputation amongst our customers and within the kitchen industry. We’ve constantly met and exceeded the expectations of our clients in delivering a great product. As such, most of our work over the past 30 years has derived from word of mouth and repeat customers. If you require the services of one of Sydney’s best luxury kitchen manufacturers, contact the design team on 02 9624 2344 and discover how Dan Kitchens can transform your space.